Just yesterday I was researching on the internet and found these humorous laws in Vermont posted by Erica Sweet at https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/crazy-vt-laws/
I have listed those crazy laws here but would recommend going to her post for the wonderful visuals and comments also.
- It is illegal to undress in public. But, it’s okay if you leave your house naked.
2. It was once legal to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole.
3. Its illegal to paint on a horse. even in the time of war.
4.It’s against the law to whistle underwater.
5. In the city of Barre all residents are required to bath every Saturday night.
6. Vermont has banned the prohibition of clotheslines.
7. You are not allowed to paint a landscape during war time. If caught you could go to jail.
8 .Billboards have been outlawed in Vermont scenes 1968.
9 It’s against the law to defame a court, If caught calling it a Kangaroo court, you could be fined $200.
10. It’s against the law to keep a dove in the freezer. You can hunt most animals in Vermont, but if you shoot a dove you better eat it fast.
11. If you are a woman and want to get false teeth you have to have written permission from your husband.
See these wonderful oddities about Vermont at www.onlyinyourstate.com/vermont/crazy-vt-laws/
A few years back I read that it was against the law to walk backward in Vermont — fact or fiction??? I never found any facts about this and wonder if it is true to this day.
One Recent Event
Fair Haven residents recently elected a goat for Mayor. His title is Mayor Lincoln. He won votes hands down over cats, dogs and a gerbil. Mayor Lincoln will be attending town meetings. (Maybe a diaper is in order)
Until we Meet Again!
Barcellos, Kate. "No kidding: Fair Haven elects pet mayor."
Rutland Herald, 15 Mar. 2019, Cover Story sec.Sweet, Erika. "These 12 Crazy Laws in Vermont Will Leave You
Scratching Your Head in Wonder."OnlyInYourState, 20 Sept.
14 Apr. 2019.